Friday 28 February 2014

Feedback on my MA Show from the Private View in September 2013

From: Ian Barraclough
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2013
To: Karl
Subject: MA SHOW VISIT

Hi Karl,
As the man in demand last night I didn't get a lot of chance to chat to you but it was a great show, and was also good to see Jack, Barbara, Clive, and Gil again. Camberwell seems to have a more skills-based philosophy than LCC, for the good in my opinion. Very much enjoyed your animation, which really did represent a lot of focussed thought and masses of hard work. It was like you had invented a world then lived in it, like an actor inhabits a role. Stylistically the black and white was classy with tiny hints of colour, and I loved the flying figures. Intriguing to see all the various disembodied image parts come together, and with a jazz soundtrack too. John Surman is my favoured baritone sax player, although Tony Kofi is more experimental.What you were probably not aware of is that I've decided to leave LCC at the end of September, mainly to avoid the long commuting and to spend more time doing artwork. I do have some money to tide me over for a while, with the intention of eventually finding some AL work on the south coast nearer to where I live. I am generally just interested in downsizing my current LCC activity, which though part-time, can run over a lot into unpaid overtime and working from home. Eventually I will have to change my LCC email, so I'll be sending out new details after September.
Hope you had a great night, just reward for all the effort. I tend to agree that PhDs sound impressive, though the reality is often snappy writing and pressure to get published (there are 3 doctorates in the Barraclough family already). So maybe the MA is enough for the time being.


Kind regards,
Ian




From: Roger Sabin
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2013 12:47 PM
To: Karl Foster
Subject: RE: MA Major Project

Hey Karl,

Congrats on finishing the MA!

Your storyboard is terrific! Really nice abstract citiscapes, an involving SF story, and a soundtrack that's perfect. I also like the way it's so varied, and packs so much into the time-frame. It's futuristic, but recognisable - and disturbing but accessible. I really liked it.

I can also think of a place where it could be seen by a broader public, if you'd be interested in that? I happen to know one of the organisers of the 2014 World Science Fiction Convention, which will be in London. http://www.loncon3.org/

She is keen to promote the visual side, and has 30 exhibition spaces to fill. The up-side: There will be 7000 people from all over the world, many of whom will have a serious interest in your film. In terms of 'impact', this is good news, and there will be a professionally produced catalogue and website, etc. My contact, Farah Mendlesohn, is a Professor at Anglia Ruskin.

The down-side: this is not an 'art event' by any means. The fans will be fans - with all that implies (yes, I would expect people dressed as Mr Spock). The venue is not a gallery, but will be an aircraft hangar-like monstrosity (at the Conference Centre, ExCel, in Docklands). And the organisers have no money - though they do have equipment, etc.

Anyway, if you want to ask if you can be included, please drop a line to Farah: farah.mendlesohn@anglia.ac.uk

Oh, and of course, I'd be delighted to have you along to the UAL comics network events.

Cheers,

Roger



Check out this link to see what they are both referring to http://vimeo.com/73864183?utm_source=email&utm_medium=clip-transcode_complete-finished-20120100&utm_campaign=7701&email_id=Y2xpcF90cmFuc2NvZGVkfGExMTQ5OTFkMWNjYjY2MTE0NTM1N2JhZTBjMThmYjI2ODc2fDIwNjUwNDE1fDEzNzgzOTQxNzY%3D



Karl

No comments:

Post a Comment