Friday 1 July 2022

Part 12: Lee Andrew Wright the Inspiration for this Series - The L.A.W. GraphicNarrativ Seminar Series


In life we are fortunate to have friends. There are friends who shape you in ways you would never have considered before. Someone who presents their wisdom to you in such a manner that you want to attain that wisdom for yourself, Lee Andrew Wright was such a person.

I have dedicated my work on Graphic Narratives and Storytelling to him because of our many conversations about the craft and the way a good old yarn can help us see the full power of ideas. I have had a life that my dear friend Lee Andrew Wright was never afforded himself. Simply put, without him, there would be no me.

I have two things I'd like to share here about him.

First the lyrics and a link to a song that sums up our relationship even to this day, even though Lee has long since passed away. Secondly I print for the first time my Eulogy to him from his funeral back in 2011. I love you Lee and I always blessed you with roses even though I never gave them to you in your lifetime. I hope my work is a lasting tribute to you. Rest in Power my dear friend X.

THE WHOLE OF THE MOON
The Waterboys 

I pictured a rainbow
You held it in your hands
I had flashes
But you saw the plan
I wandered out in the world for years
While you just stayed in your room
I saw the crescent
You saw the whole of the moon
The whole of the moon

Hmm, you were there in the turnstiles, with the wind at your heels
You stretched for the stars and you know how it feels to reach too high
Too far

Too soon
You saw the whole of the moon

I was grounded
While you filled the skies
I was dumbfounded by truth
You cut through lies
I saw the rain dirty valley
You saw Brigadoon
I saw the crescent
You saw the whole of the moon

I spoke about wings
You just flew
I wondered, I guessed and I tried
You just knew
I sighed
But you swooned, I saw the crescent
You saw the whole of the moon
The whole of the moon

with a torch in your pocket and the wind at your heels
You climbed on the ladder and you know how it feels to get too high
Too far

Too soon
You saw the whole of the moon

The whole of the moon, hey yeah!

Unicorns and cannonballs, palaces and piers
Trumpets, towers and tenements
Wide oceans full of tears
Flags, rags ferryboats
Scimitars and scarves
Every precious dream and vision
Underneath the stars, yes, you climbed on the ladder
With the wind in your sails
You came like a comet
Blazing your trail too high
Too far

Too soon
You saw the whole of the moon

 

Source: LyricFind

Songwriters: Michael Scott

The Whole of the Moon lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc

 

YouTube link for this song  here


Lee Andrew Wright 17/01/1964 - 30/06/2011


FAREWELL AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH
 
Karl Anderson Foster 21.07.2011

"We should go carefully through this world for we can never be sure of our influences on others."

I want to tell you about my friend. Lee was unique, he truly was, intelligent, funny, stubborn, brave and very wise.

I met Lee way back in 1984 at Amersham College (just up the road there). We didn't get on that well at first but as Lee was a great conversationalist we soon found common ground.

Over the years we talked about many things, music, films, art, politics and women. We shared much and laughed a lot.

Back in 1985 Lee told me I was a lucky man. At that point I had never felt lucky, quite the reverse in fact. I wasn't really sure what he meant by lucky. Was I luckier than him? He had spent a great deal of time in hospital and suffered pain daily and I thought that was the deal. I couldn't have been more wrong. Lee never complained to me about his life, he was simply encouraging a friend to take their rightful place in the world. Wise words indeed, I got a lot of support from Lee.

Lee was fiercely independent and wanted to live his life on his own terms. I think he achieved this in part. I think you would agree.

I am proud to have known Lee and feel blessed to have felt his love.

There is an immortality for all of us. Lee lives on in everyone of us. When we remember him, we should do so with a smile on our lips.


No comments:

Post a Comment