Monday 27 September 2010

And the Oscar for Best Picture goes to...




I've just been looking at the list of 82 (83) Oscar winners for Best Picture. The first ceremony was held in Hollywood back in 1929.

Studying the list I wondered if there really was a direct link between the content (story) in each film and the prevailing economic climate in USA at the time. Is the story influenced by the economy? Does the state of the economy influence how the Academy members vote?

Does a films chance of winning in one particular year depend on whether it's about an individual (Rocky 1976) or whether it's an ensemble piece (Crash 2005)?

If silent movies have been around since 1895 why did it take until 1927 for the Oscars to come along?

I will continue to investigate this. It might help me with some aspects of the question I'm trying to devise for my future doctorate.

If you have any suggestions I'd like to see them.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment